And today is Super Bowl Sunday. Which means food, drinks, shouting, clapping, and all that stuff.
So, last week Laura from Pies and Plots nominated my blog for a Liebster Award. I was absolutely thrilled because it’s my first award! Laura makes the most amazing desserts and baked goods, I love visiting her blog and I am so honored and humbled that she nominated my blog. (my small tiny itty bitty newbie blog)
When someone receives a Liebster Award you have to answer 11 questions, list 11 facts about yourself, and nominate your own 11 favorite blogs. So here are the 11 questions Laura asked, followed by 11 facts about myself.
- If you could meet one celebrity who would it be and why?
There’s so many I want to meet! It’s so hard to only choose just one. But I guess I would say Alex O’loughlin. I’m deeply infatuated with him. He’s Steve McGarrett on Hawaii Five-O. He’s just perfect and I love his Australian accent. I’ve been a fan of his since…MOONLIGHT! (I heart Mick St. John!)
- Where is the best place you have taken a vacation?
I won a trip to Orlando, Florida about 3 years ago. I had never flown on a plane and the furthest I’d ever traveled to was Mexico. So this was beyond exciting. The hotel we stayed in was really beautiful and really nice. We went to Disney World for free, ate for free at an Italian restaurant, drove a rental car…free. It was a truly magical “Disney” dream vacation. I can’t believe I won that trip. I’m still in shock!
- What is your favorite thing to do on a day off?
On a day off I like to stay home and watch a movie or two, then meditate, read a book, and just enjoy the quiet.
- What is your favorite TV show?
Hawaii Five-O! Aside from the fact that the gorgeous and hunky Alex O’Loughlin is in it, it’s just really an exciting and fun show to watch. I love the action and the funny scenes between Danno and Steve. I also love the beautiful scenery of Hawaii. It’s just so beautiful there, I want to live there!
- What is your favorite season – spring, summer, fall, or winter, and why?
Summer. I know it can get like really scorching hot sometimes but I just love it. I praise the sun! I love how the days are so long. I love the evening walks. And I could eat ice cream all Summer unfortunately. And I just happen to love Summer so much that I decided to be born in July.
- What is your favorite thing you have posted on your blog?
That’s hard to choose as well. I have loved everything so far but what really made me super excited was when I posted the Puerquitos (the little piggy cookies) recipe. I was so thrilled that I made these little cute pig-shaped cookies which I regularly just buy at the local Mexican bakery. It was so fun to make them. And I made a bit too much so I had like a surplus of puerquitos. It was a dream to have so many piggy cookies! I became a piggie! :X
- What made you start blogging?
My newfound fascination with cooking made me start blogging. I started searching for recipes and that led me to discovering all these wonderful food blogs. I thought, hey I should have my own blog since I’m always cooking. It just sounded like a fun thing to do and a nice creative outlet too.
- Where do you see yourself in five years?
I see myself older unfortunately but finally settled with a job. I see my blog with more recipes and posts and I see my cooking and baking skills advancing.
- If you could have a superhero power what would it be?
Is teleporting a superhero power? Because I would really like to have the ability to do that. Imagine?! To be able to teleport from one city to another in the blink of an eye. There’s just so many places I’d love to go!
- Since I have never been on a first date, what would your ideal first date be like?
I love music so I think going to a concert on a first date would be ideal. It could be a small local concert, small venue type, or one where a mutually favorite band or musician is playing. It’s a good place to just be yourself and have a good time. Then maybe a little dinner afterwards.
- Do you have a good luck charm?
Since my name is Ruby I wear a ring with a ruby, which is actually also my birth stone. I know?! How cool is that? I love my name so I wear that ring sometimes and I guess I consider it a good luck charm.
11 facts about me.
- I am a morning person. I love to get up really early almost before the sun comes out. Even on Sundays. I drink my coffee and exercise first thing in the morning, except for Sundays. That’s my day off but I still get up pretty early.
- My favorite number is 11. I see it constantly on the clock 11:11. I might be obsessed or something but I’d like to think it’s a sign of some kind.
- I’m really superstitious. If I say something that might jinx me I knock on wood right away.
- I can’t watch animal movies. Especially if there’s a dog in the movie, I will refuse to watch. They usually involve a sad ending and I’m just too emotional. Last movie I watched about an animal was Marley and Me and that’s the last time I’ll ever watch a movie with an animal.
- I took a piano class in college. (Chris Martin inspired me to learn) Oh, I was the absolute worst in the class but I love practicing!
- My biggest pet peeve is: white socks. Cute socks, black socks, gray, they’re ok but white socks… I shiver at the thought.
- I love love love to shop at Ikea, Trader Joes, and Target. I go wildly excited like a little kid at a theme park.
- I am a leftie. When I was in kindergarten the teacher forced me so many times to use my right hand, guess she didn’t know. But I ended up using scissors with my right hand now so that’s a good thing!
- I love cop shows and cop films. But if I see a cop behind me while I’m driving I start to panic. They make me extremely nervous.
- I’ve watched all the top 100 movies on the AFI list. That’s how much I love movies. It took me a couple of years but I finally watched them all! Some were a little bit boring but most of them became big favorites. I even enjoyed some of the silent films!
- I’m a neat freak. I like to clean and organize things. If I see something misplaced in the refrigerator I quickly put it back. It annoys everybody.
Because I’m so thankful that Laura nominated me I decided to make these little egg pies for breakfast, since her blog is called PIES & PLOTS. These are called easy peasy egg pies, they are not so pretty, SORRY. I ran out of pie dough (and patience) so I made lattice-style pies but it got a little bit sloppy (hehehe). I would definitely recommend the simple pie dough on top like this one that I made here a few days ago for lunch:
Next Sunday, I’ll present my own list of nominations along with my own set of questions.
Happy Super Bowl Sunday!
Easy Peasy Egg Pies
- caramelized onions
- 1/4 cup frozen peas (for each mini pie)
- 1-2 pinch flour (for each mini pie)
- 1/4 cup milk (for each mini pie)
- pinch of parsley (dried)
- salt and pepper
- shredded cheese (optional)
- pie crust (i used leftover pie crust)
- 1 large eggs (one egg for each pie)
* I used mini pie tins. You could probably also use muffin tins.
Inspired by this recipe: Riviera Egg Pie Recipe
|First caramelize a sliced onion using your own technique or method. I do it by heating the onions on a skillet with some oil over medium heat. Then I cover it with a lid and let it slowly cook over low heat. Keep checking and stirring until it turns a nice golden brown color.|
|In a smaller skillet add some caramelized onions, about a 1/4 cup or less for each mini pie that you're making. Add the frozen peas, 1/4 cup for each pie. Heat together and stir until peas are defrosted. Sprinkle some flour on top and incorporate really well. Continue cooking and then gradually add the milk and stir well. Simmer until mixture thickens. Season. Add parsley. Then set aside and let cool.|
|Meanwhile whisk an egg for each pie in a bowl. Whisk really well.|
|Slowly stir in the onion and pea mixture and combine really well.|
|Preheat oven to 350F and lightly grease pie tins. Pour egg mixture onto each tin, sprinkle with cheese, and top with rolled out pie crust. Brush top of crust with a milk or egg wash.|
|Bake for 20-25 minutes or until center looks puffed out and done.|